There are a lot of Ruby tutorials out there, plus books on the subject. Here are a couple good ones:
- Try Ruby - Short interactive introduction to the basics.
- Ruby Quickstart - Another good short introduction.
- Why’s Poignant Guide to Ruby - Very tongue-in-cheek guide that dives into some journeyman topics.
- CodeAcademy - More in-depth tutorials.
- Udemy and Plursalsight also have modestly-priced Ruby tutorials, but I haven’t tried it.
Some tutorials will be about "Ruby on Rails". Rails is just a website development framework that uses Ruby. Learning Rails isn’t necessarily bad - you’ll find some similar concepts in Ares - but Ares uses EmberJS instead of Rails. It’s safe to skip the Rails stuff.
Don’t forget you can always ask for help.